News

$50,000 reward split between tipsters in New York subway shooting

Multiple leads “directly contributed to the arrest” of the suspect, the NYPD said.

Five tipsters are sharing a $50,000 reward for providing police with information leading to the arrest of the suspect in Tuesday’s mass shooting on a New York City subway, officials said.

The suspected shooter in the shooting, 62-year-old Frank James, was taken into custody on the streets of Manhattan on Wednesday afternoon, about 30 hours after 10 people were shot dead on a Brooklyn N train.

While the manhunt was underway, police asked the public for help in locating the suspect. New York City Police Department detectives identified five people whose tips “directly contributed to the arrests,” the NYPD said.

The five Good Samaritans, who have not been publicly identified, will equally split Crime Stoppers rewards totaling $50,000 provided by the Police Foundation, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and the Transport Workers Union Local 100. Rewards for Crime Stoppers are distributed upon the arrest and indictment of an individual.

“We appreciate everyone who has responded to our call for information to help locate this suspect, including all those whose leads have not been answered,” NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said in a statement. “We have called on the public to join us in this effort to find this suspect, and New Yorkers have come forward.”

Police have not disclosed what information led to the arrest and the tipsters are being offered anonymity. Although there were multiple reports from witnesses spotting James after he was named as a suspect in the shooting that occurred Tuesday morning on a rush-hour Manhattan-bound N train as it was approaching the 36th Street station in Sunset Park.

A cellphone alert with James’ description went out to New York City residents at 10:21 a.m. Wednesday, and several sightings followed as the suspect wandered the streets of lower Manhattan.

He was seen sitting outside Dimes, a restaurant in Chinatown, around 10:30 a.m., sources said. Witnesses took photos of him seated, apparently using a Link NYC hub to charge his phone, and posted them to social media, tagging police, sources said.

A few hours later, James was spotted having lunch at Katz’s on the Lower East Side, sources said.

Just after 1 p.m. Wednesday, James called Crime Stoppers and said he was at a McDonald’s in the East Village, according to sources. James reportedly said: “I think you’re looking for me. I see my picture all over the news and I’ll be near this McDonald’s.”

By the time police arrived, James had already left McDonald’s. But a Good Samaritan spotted James nearby at St. Mark’s Place and First Avenue and waved to police, sources said.

James was arrested without incident and charged by federal prosecutors with terrorism-related offences. He was held without bail when he first appeared in court on Thursday. He faces life imprisonment.

ABC News’ Aaron Katersky and Mark Crudele contributed to this report.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/50000-reward-split-tipsters-nyc-subway-shooting/story?id=84110204 $50,000 reward split between tipsters in New York subway shooting

Ari Notis

TheHiu.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@thehiu.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button