CD Projekt Red has announced the codenames and short descriptions for five new games, including 3 Witcher games, a new Cyberpunk and a brand new IP.
Revealed on Twitter, it marks a huge next step for the developer in more ways than one – from developing their own intellectual property from scratch to developing multiple full-size games at once. In a separate release, the company says it’s also “adding multiplayer to most future projects.” This is also the first time we’ve learned that the new Witcher trilogy won’t be the only new games set in this universe.
The five games are:
- Orion – “A codename for our next cyberpunk game that will further advance the cyberpunk franchise and continue to harness the potential of this dark future universe.” Orion is being developed by a brand new CD Projekt studio in the USA.
- Polaris – “A codename for the next installment in The Witcher franchise, which we recently announced is in pre-production. It’s the beginning of a new saga: we aim to release two more Witcher games after Polaris and create a new AAA role-playing game trilogy.” The full trilogy is set to be released “over a six-year period.”
- Canis Majoris – “A full-fledged Witcher game, separate from the new Witcher saga, starting with Polaris. It is being developed by an external studio led by experienced developers who have worked on previous Witcher games.” It is currently not clear which developer is working on this project.
- Sirius – “A codename for the game, developed by [The Molasses Flood], set in The Witcher universe and made with the support of CDPR. It will be different from our previous productions, offering multiplayer gameplay in addition to a single player experience, including a campaign with quests and a story.”
- Hadar – “A codename for a third entirely standalone IP created from scratch within CDPR. The project is in the earliest stages of the creative process, which means we are not developing a game yet, just working on the foundation work for this new setting.”
Orion is a codename for our next cyberpunk game that will continue to advance the cyberpunk franchise and continue to harness the potential of this dark future universe. pic.twitter.com/JoVbCf6jYZ
— CD PROJEKT RED (@CDPROJEKTRED) October 4, 2022
Canis Majoris is perhaps the most intriguing project for CD Projekt on the list. Developed externally by a currently unknown developer, the strategy announcement states: “This is the first such product to be developed outside the group. However, this does not mean that it will fall short of our own productions in terms of quality. It will be based on Unreal Engine 5, together with the toolset created for Polaris. Further announcements are expected shortly.”
Canis Majoris marks what appears to be a newly opened CD project, poised to collaborate with partners on both games and other media following the success of Netflix’s Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. “Our goal is to work with experienced partners who can meet our quality requirements and offer valuable experiences to our fans,” said CFO Michał Nowakowski. “We’re doing this to create new, exciting ways to interact with our brands and allow our internal teams to focus on what drives us as a company: creating revolutionary role-playing games.”
Details on the new IP Hadar are understandably sparse, but Nowakowski added: “We started toying with the idea a few years ago. Early-stage conceptual work began in 2021, and – for the first time in our history – the IP will be incubated entirely within CD Projekt Red. It’s important to understand that at the moment we’re still working on fundamental concepts and laying the groundwork for this new franchise lay.”
The news comes after CD Projekt announced it would start developing Witcher and Cyberpunk games simultaneously, while also buying The Molasses Flood to work on games set in its universes. The new North American studio will integrate the previously purchased Vancouver studio.
We also experienced this in the flood of announcements Co-CEO Adam Kiciński would step down apply for the presidency of the company.
Joe Skrebels is IGN’s Executive Editor of News. Keep following him Twitter. Do you have a tip for us? Would you like to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
https://www.ign.com/articles/cd-projekt-red-new-games-witcher-cyberpunk-polaris-canis-majoris-sirius-orion-hadar CD Projekt is working on 3 Witcher games, a new Cyberpunk and a new IP