Screenshot of Pro Game Guides
When you first start Dwarf Fortress and launch into Fortress mode, it can be overwhelming to see the UI and try to understand everything that is happening. That’s why we’ve broken down everything on the Dwarven Fortress UI and explained what each part means. Read on to discover the mysteries of the DF UI!
Dwarf Fortress Premium UI
Below we have created a key for each element of the Dwarven Fortress UI:
- Alerts and Messages – These are all Urgent Alerts your Fortress has. Click on it for more information.
- fortress name – This is listed in dwarves, a translation, and then the size of your fortress.
- Information about dwarves – This area shows your current population and the happiness of these dwarves.
- infobar – This bar shows what your cursor is currently hovering over
- shares and date – This advanced stronghold information shows you the approximate number of stocks in your stronghold, or the exact amount if you have an accountant. You also see the moon phase, date, month and year.
- minimap – This new feature for premium gives you a mini map but also some features like level navigation, liquid levels, ramp directions and quick movements.
- menu bar – This set of icons are all different menus in the game.
- commands – The middle icons represent commands for your dwarves.
- squads and world map – The last two symbols are the squads and the world map symbol. These control combat and conquest.
- Fast Levels Details – This is a representation of the current level and elevation of your stronghold, with the current elevation you are at being roughly in the middle.
Related: How to assign tasks to dwarves in Dwarf Fortress?
While the UI can seem overwhelming, the new Dwarf Fortress Premium UI is vastly simplified and clearer than the original game. Additionally, hovering over most aspects gives you a quick explanation of what it is in the top right corner.
For more guides and information on the Dwarf Fortress, see Can you dig through an aquifer in the Dwarven Fortress? on Pro Game Guides.
https://progameguides.com/dwarf-fortress/dwarf-fortress-steam-ui-and-symbols-explained/ Dwarf Fortress Steam UI and Icons Explained