Marine rescue crew found 10 types of plastic in turtle water drop

A juvenile green turtle rescued from a fishing net released more than 10 types of plastic, according to the Mundo Marino Foundation in Argentina, according to the Mundo Marino Foundation in Argentina.

The turtle was brought to the foundation’s rescue and rehabilitation center in San Clemente del Tuyúon on December 13.

The 14-inch turtle was rescued by a man after it became entangled in his fishing net.

Although it appeared healthy when it arrived at the centre, the turtle began to produce an alarming amount of man-made waste, which contained plastic items, including lids, nets, packages, seals and seals. cellophane paper. Other unidentified plastics were also found in turtle droppings.

As of December 18, the organization said, the turtle had excreted 0.6 ounces of plastic and still had the foreign object in its body.

10 types of plastic found
A rescued juvenile green turtle defecated more than 10 types of plastic after it was rescued in San Clemente del Tuyu, Argentina, this month.
Mundo Marino Foundation / Zenger

Veterinarian Mauro Pergazere said: ‘We observed that it still has the foreign body in its stomach and the last part of the digestive tract, so it will probably continue to empty out in the coming days.

X-rays and blood tests revealed that the turtle was dehydrated and had a high white blood cell count. “The second thing could be its immune system’s response to the large number of foreign bodies it has and is still inside,” Pergazere said.

“It will continue to be observed, because of the sharpness of the objects it expels, we cannot rule out that they may have caused internal injury.

“Currently, the animal is showing good behavior and will be closely monitored. We hope in the next few weeks he will be able to be discharged and return to the sea.”

The Mundo Marino Foundation has cared for sick, oiled or stranded marine birds and animals since 1987.

“The vulnerability of sea turtles to human impact is well documented globally and in our country,” says the foundation’s website. “The Mundo Marino Foundation – from 1995-2013 – registered 279 specimens of sea turtles.

Green Turtle
Young green turtle after being rescued.
Fundacion Mundo Marino / Zenger

The website states that of the animals admitted to the foundation’s rescue and rehab center alive, 84% have been rehabilitated and placed in captivity, with the remaining 16% dying of hypothermia, dehydration and confusion. gastrointestinal tract due to ingestion of plastic materials. .

“Knowing the status of sea turtle populations at these latitudes is essential to design effective conservation strategies. The mission of the restoration centers also provides a valuable opportunity to learn about Their biological and ecological features, as well as the different conditions to which these reptiles are susceptible, constitute an important tool for their conservation.”

Green turtles have a wide range of habitats throughout the tropical and subtropical seas of the world. This species is listed as “endangered” on the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Red List of Threatened Species.

Its threats include hunting, poaching, egg harvesting, boating, fishing, pollution, and habitat destruction.

This story was provided to Newsweek by News Zenger.

https://www.newsweek.com/marine-rescue-crew-found-10-types-plastic-turtle-droppings-1662853 Marine rescue crew found 10 types of plastic in turtle water drop

Ethan Gach

TheHiu.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@thehiu.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button