Mother-of-six, 45, was left with a hole in her cheek after oven cleaner got on her face

A mother had a hole in her cheek after accidentally dabbing oven cleaner on her face.

Maura Prendergast from Ireland soaked her grates overnight in a bag of Oven Pride.

While trying to cook dinner for her six children, the 45-year-old, who had previously used the corrosive substance, opened the bag “as usual”.

But unbeknownst to her, a tiny drop of the fat-destroying liquid ended up on her face.

Ms Prendergast, a hotel worker, wiped her cheek with a tea towel when it began to itch and accidentally spread the harsh alkaline chemicals – which can burn skin.

When her daughter returned from school, the side of her face had turned “black.”

Recalling her ordeal in 2019, Ms Prendergast said: “I went into the bathroom and looked at my face and just started throwing water at me.”

She rushed to the emergency room at Galway University Hospital, where doctors gave her antibiotics and salt water to prevent the wound from becoming infected.

Doctors referred her to the plastic surgery team, who cut off a section of her cheek devastated by the burn.

Maura Prendergast from Ireland had a hole in her cheek after accidentally dabbing oven cleaner on her face

Maura Prendergast from Ireland had a hole in her cheek after accidentally dabbing oven cleaner on her face

Maura Prendergast from Ireland had a hole in her cheek after accidentally dabbing oven cleaner on her face

Ms Prendergast, a hotel worker, wiped her cheek with a tea towel when it began to itch and accidentally spread the harsh alkaline chemicals - which can burn skin

Ms Prendergast, a hotel worker, wiped her cheek with a tea towel when it began to itch and accidentally spread the harsh alkaline chemicals - which can burn skin

Ms Prendergast, a hotel worker, wiped her cheek with a tea towel when it began to itch and accidentally spread the harsh alkaline chemicals – which can burn skin

She's had multiple skin grafts, some of which have failed, and has been forced to wear a vac pack (pictured) on her face to hold the wound together so it can heal after one of the surgeries

She's had multiple skin grafts, some of which have failed, and has been forced to wear a vac pack (pictured) on her face to hold the wound together so it can heal after one of the surgeries

She’s had multiple skin grafts, some of which have failed, and has been forced to wear a vac pack (pictured) on her face to hold the wound together so it can heal after one of the surgeries

Image: The burned area became infected after one of Ms Prendergast's skin grafts failed

Image: The burned area became infected after one of Ms Prendergast's skin grafts failed

Image: The burned area became infected after one of Ms Prendergast’s skin grafts failed

WHAT IS A CHEMICAL COMBUSTION?

A chemical burn is the irritation and destruction of human tissue caused by contact with a chemical.

Many cases occur due to accidental misuse of hair, skin, and nail care products.

Most chemical burns are caused by strong acids that kill cells, which can result in scarring and disability.

The extent of tissue damage depends on the strength of the chemical, the site of contact, whether it was swallowed, whether the skin was intact, and how long it was left on.

Symptoms include:

  • Redness, irritation or burning on the affected area of ​​skin
  • pain or numbness
  • Vision changes when the eye is affected
  • cough or shortness of breath
  • Vomit

In severe cases, people may experience cardiac arrest, seizures, or low blood pressure.

Minor chemical burns affecting a small area of ​​skin can often be treated by washing the affected area thoroughly with water.

Larger burns require hospital treatment.

Source: eMedicine Health

But that wasn’t the end of her nightmare.

In the past three and a half years, she has had ten surgeries, including surgery to close the wound with abdominal fat.

She has had multiple skin grafts, some of which have failed, and has been forced to wear a vac pack on her face to hold the wound together so it can heal after one of the surgeries.

Now Ms Prendergast is calling on Oven Pride to ensure it supplies face masks with its products.

McBride, the company that owns the cleaner, supplies gloves with its oven cleaner and advises customers to wear masks.

She told the Daily Mirror: “Oven Pride is still on sale.

“And the box says to wear gloves and a mask and they put gloves in the box so why not put a mask in too.

“That was before Covid so people didn’t have masks then, now we all have them so there’s no excuse.

“It shouldn’t have happened to me and if there had been a mask in the box it wouldn’t have happened.

“I just want to warn others to protect themselves so this doesn’t happen to them.”

Oven Pride includes a 500ml bottle of liquid, a bag to put in oven wrecks, a pair of gloves and an instruction manual.

The liquid contains sodium hydroxide, a dangerous chemical also known as lye that causes severe burns and permanent damage if it comes into contact with skin.

Severe chemical burns, like Ms. Prendergast’s, may require grafts, in which the affected area is removed and replaced with a section of healthy skin taken from another part of the body.

Speaking about the burn, Ms Prendergast said she didn’t panic when her face first turned black, but instead used her first aid training to start irrigating the wound.

But over the years, her treatment wore her down, and she at one point asked her family to “just take her home to die.”

After wearing the vacuum pack for 10 weeks, she said she wouldn’t leave the house because she didn’t want people to see her, adding, “I always felt like I was ugly anyway.”

She has five stars tattooed near her right eye on the scarred side of her face.

The tattoos gave her an opportunity to regain control after her piercings in the area were rejected following her surgeries, she said.

Now she feels like she has a “second chance at life” after getting engaged and hopes her nightmare can help prevent others from being burned in the same way.

McBride declined to comment.

Source: | This article originally belongs to Dailymail.co.uk

https://www.soundhealthandlastingwealth.com/health-news/mother-of-six-45-left-with-a-hole-in-her-cheek-after-oven-cleaner-got-on-her-face/ Mother-of-six, 45, was left with a hole in her cheek after oven cleaner got on her face

Brian Ashcraft

TheHiu.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@thehiu.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button