New details were revealed during filming at the candidate’s headquarters

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The man accused of shooting at a Louisville mayoral candidate had visited the politician’s home the day before the attack but left after the gun he had brought with him became jammed, according to new details obtained by Federal prosecutors were alleged during a hearing on Friday.

The day before, Brown took a Lyft ride to the candidate’s home and minutes later scoured the internet for instructions on how to fix a gun loaded with a backwards-facing bullet, prosecutors said. Then he left.

Magistrate Judge Colin Lindsay on Friday granted Brown’s release to home confinement, but the suspect remains in federal custody because the judge also granted a request by federal prosecutors to stay the release while they file an appeal.

Arguing in court against Brown’s release, prosecutors claimed Brown was “erratic, unpredictable, and will likely disappear,” and warned that he could attempt another shooting.

Greenberg, a Democrat, said he was with four colleagues at his campaign headquarters on February 14 when a man appeared in the door and began firing multiple shots. A worker managed to shut the door, which they barricaded with tables and desks, and the gunman fled.

Greenberg was not hit by the gunfire but said a bullet grazed his sweater.

Brown, a social justice activist running for the Louisville Subway Council as an independent, was arrested shortly thereafter.

On the morning of the shooting, prosecutors said Brown bought another gun at a local pawn shop. He then took a Lyft ride to Greenberg’s campaign office, where the attack took place.

Last week, a federal grand jury indicted Brown for “interfering with a federal protected right and using and discharging a firearm in connection with a violent crime by shooting and attempting to kill a candidate for elective office.”

If convicted on all federal charges, Brown faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in prison and a maximum of life in prison in addition to any sentence he receives on state charges of attempted murder and wanton endangerment. He has pleaded not guilty in state court.

Brown’s attorneys said they acknowledged the seriousness of the allegations but insisted that Brown be released because imprisonment would have a negative impact on Brown’s mental health and well-being.

They argued that if Brown were allowed to be incarcerated at home, he would have ongoing access to mental health resources and his family’s support and would pose no danger to the community. They also said Brown had been confined at home for weeks prior to his arrest last week with no issues.

Days after the shooting, Brown was locked at home and fitted with a GPS ankle monitor after a group called the Louisville Community Bail Fund paid the $100,000 cash bail.

The earlier decision to keep him at home drew bipartisan criticism, including from Greenberg, who said it was “almost impossible to believe that someone could attempt murder on Monday and walk out of prison on Wednesday.”

Some of Brown’s University of Louisville professors and supervisors testified to support his release Friday. dr Ricky Jones, a professor of Pan-African Studies at the University of Louisville, said Brown is a “star of the university” and a talented writer.

Brown, a former intern and editorial columnist for the Courier Journal, was prolific on social media prior to the shooting, particularly when it came to social justice issues. He has also been involved in community violence prevention efforts and was a Martin Luther King Fellow at the University of Louisville, which included a full scholarship.

Brown disappeared for about two weeks last summer. After he was found safe, his parents issued a statement asking for patience and privacy while they tend to his “physical, mental and spiritual needs.”

“He was one of the most brilliant kids I’ve ever met,” Jones said, describing Brown as very respectful, analytical, and popular. Jones also noted that he would even let Brown live with him if the court were so wanted.

At one point during his testimony, Jones’ voice began to tremble and he became emotional. Several people sitting in the pews at the back of the courtroom also began to cry.

“I really wonder what happened to him,” he said.


Hudspeth Blackburn is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to cover undercover topics. New details were revealed during filming at the candidate’s headquarters

Ari Notis is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button