The New York Knicks have made some good moves this season that adding Donovan Mitchell would just be the cherry on top.
Of course, many fans would love to see the added cherry, especially if it means they can hang on to RJ Barrett. As it turns out, a massive 5-team commercial proposal put forth by Andy Bailey of Bleacher Report will see it happen.
In this deal, the Knicks will give up Evan Fournier, Quentin Grimes, Cam Reddish and several draft picks, but they will be able to land a real star in Donovan Mitchell. In addition, they will be able to catch and protect Cam Thomas of the Brooklyn Nets.
All in all, it’s not a bad deal for the Knicks, but it might be worth seeing how the rest of the teams do in all of this.
Big Trade Recommended
While the Knicks got better on Bailey’s proposed deal, the same could happen with the Lakers and Suns.
The Lakers will see Kyrie Irving wearing purple and gold while reuniting with LeBron James. The Suns will land Kevin Durant and that will make them a title contender for the foreseeable future.
Here’s how the whole deal looks like:
- Los Angeles Lakers Get: Kyrie Irving, Patrick Beverley* and Dario Saric
- Brooklyn Nets Get: Mikal Bridges, Talen Horton-Tucker, Cameron Payne, 2025 first pick from Phoenix, 2027 first-round pick from Phoenix, 2027 first-round pick from Los Angeles, 2029 first-round pick from Phoenix and first-round pick 2029 first pick from New York
- Utah Jazz Get: Russell Westbrook, Quentin Grimes, Cam Reddish, Evan Fournier, Jae Crowder, Landry Shamet, 2023 first pick from New York, 2023 first pick from Phoenix, 2025 first pick from New York, first pick 2027 first round selection from New York and 2029 first round selection from Los Angeles
- Phoenix Suns receive: Kevin Durant and Bojan Bogdanovic
- The New York Knicks receive: Donovan Mitchell and Cam Thomas
The Nets come out of all this with a completely rebuilt roster that will see two of their stars shipped in exchange for lots of drafts and young players.
For the Knicks, Thomas’ landing will be huge as it will provide the team with a powerful and high-ceilinged backup vehicle behind Brunson. Giving up Grimes, Reddish and Fournier will be tough decisions, but the Knicks look like they’ll be a bit ahead here.
Difficult to pull out
For starters, Bailey reminds us that since Beverley was traded once, this transaction can’t happen until after August 30, so there’s still some time before the big deal. the same can happen unless guard points are not included.
It will also require some teams to sign an agreement and that is not always a guarantee. For example, Russell Westbrook has been hard on the move, and the fact that the Jazz put him on, even for one season, could mean they need some other sweetener. This deal should do it with all the first-round picks, but that might not even be enough for them.
From a fan’s point of view, it would be interesting to see a deal like this happen as it would create a massive power shift. The Knicks will likely become a playoff definite overnight, the Lakers will be good again, and the Suns will be even better.
CONTINUE READING: Knicks Linked to Top 5 Pick Formerly ‘Steal’ Free Dealer Signing
Heavier on Knicks news
Loading more articles
https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-knicks/donovan-mitchell-cam-thomas-trade/ Proposed 5 Group Trade Will Take Down Donovan Mitchell & Rising Guard