Happy Monday everyone! Zach Pereles is back and ready to go. The college football season is on, the NFL preseason is over (which means your fantasy draft is probably coming soon – be sure to sign up for our Fantasy Football Today newsletter), and the MLB season is entering its final stages, it’s going full steam ahead.
Let’s get straight to the point.
Good morning to everyone, but especially to…
The final group of the Tour championship brought us world No. 1 Scottie Scheffler trying to get another big win to cap a historic breakout season that has been full of them and Rory McIlroy — the superstar who has emerged as arguably the most important voice in golf — is trying to track him down.
In other words, It was exactly what the PGA Tour needed to end a tumultuous season.
In the end, it was McIlroy who brought a great arc to an otherwise tight season. Beat Scheffler and Sungjae Im with one punch to win his record-breaking third FedEx Cup and of course the lucrative one.
- Scheffler led McIlroy by six shots going into the final round, but that lead was gone after seven holes. However, Scheffler shagged the eighth hole to retake the solo lead he held until…
- The defining moment on the 15th hole when McIlroy rolled in a stunning 31 foot birdie putt. Then, on the 16th, McIlroy miraculously saved par while Scheffler bogeyed.
- Scheffler missed a very good look at birdie on 17 and misplayed a bunker shot on 18. McIlroy flirted with but ultimately avoided trouble and held on.
- It is McIlroy’s third record FedEx Cup title (also in 2016 and 2019) and his 22nd PGA Tour win of his career.
Not only did he win the last event of the season, but he also won his first event of the season –— as well as the RBC Canadian Open in June. But the season was also marked by many close encounters, most notably: the Open Championship, where the putter failed him when he gambled away a late lead, and the Masters Tournament, where he finished second to Scheffler.
this McIlroy who showed up as the PGA Tour’s biggest supporter in the fight with LIV Golf, writes golf expert Kyle Porter.
- Porter: “Perhaps more surprising than McIlroy playing great golf is that someone who has been talented in the game for generations would also be able to develop such a strong vision and play the game with equal parts grace and conviction to lead into the future. McIlroy was definitely right man to capture that moment.”
And not such a good morning for…
THE NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS
It’s a new year for Nebraskabut just because the season changes doesn’t mean the results will be the same. northweston Saturday to highlight Week 0 college football action.
- Ryan Hilinsi threw for 314 yards and two touchdowns for the Wildcats and running backs Evan Hull and Cam Porter combined for 213 rushing yards and two points.
- Leading 28-17 in the third quarter, Nebraska head coach Scott Frost made the “interesting” (nicest word I could think of) decision to try an onside kick. After the game, Frost said, “If it was over I wouldn’t call.”
- Northwestern scored a touchdown on the ensuing possession and later scored another to end the comeback.
Listen, first and foremost, give praise to Northwestern. Hell, this is my alma mater. If I don’t credit them, nobody does! Hilinski looked sharp as he dished out capable weapons, the backfield is a great strength and defense was making plays. When these two teams met last season, Nebraska won 56-7. That was also the last time Nebraska won a game, period. The Cornhuskers have lost seven straight games. They went 0-8 in one-score games last year and are now 0-1 in one-score games this year.
Now in its fifth season Frost is 15-30 in Nebraska. There’s still a lot of season to go. Nebraska can have a successful campaign, but not until they fix the problems that plagued Frost’s tenure at Lincoln.
As for other takeaways from week 0…
Not so honorable mentions
Commander RB Brian Robinson Jr. shot dead, has non-life-threatening injuries
commanders Beginner runs back Brian Robinson Jr. wasOn Sunday evening. He is in stable condition with non-life threatening injuries including multiple gunshot wounds to his lower extremities.
- Robinson Jr., 23, was selected in the third round from Alabama. He won two national titles with the Crimson Tide.
- Having had a strong training camp and preseason, he was poised to immediately become a significant part of Washington’s backfield.
- Robinson Jr. — like most of Washington’s scheduled starters and main players — didn’t play in Saturday night’s preseason finals against Baltimore.
Robinson Jr.’s timeline for returning to the field is unclear. For now, the Commanders’ Running Back Room will play a role Antonio Gibson and JD McKissic.
Bills cut punter Matt Araiza after rape allegation
(WARNING: The following contains topics that readers may find disturbing.)
That billsMatt Araiza on Saturday after claims he and two of his former State of San Diego Teammates raped a 17-year-old girl at a party last year. Buffalo General Manager Brandon Beane said the decision to cut Araiza was “more important than playing football”.
- Beane said the team first became aware of this situation in late July.
- Araiza was on the team but didn’t play in the preseason finals Friday night in Carolina and then didn’t practice on Saturday before being fired.
- Also called the lawsuit Zavier Leonard and Nowlin “Pa’a” Ewaliko, both of which are no longer on the San Diego State list. Further details of the lawsuit are available .
- Araiza said the details of the lawsuit were inaccurate, and Araiza’s attorney, Kerry Armstrongsaid the lawsuit was “a shakedown because [Araiza]is now with the Buffalo Bills.”
Araiza, a sixth-round pick,. backup quarterback Matt Barkley punted against the Panthers, and the Bills currently have no punter on their roster.
Preseason Week 3 Takeaways: Steelers QBs are playing well 🏈
With less than two weeks until the NFL season, 31 NFL teams have chosen their starting quarterback. The only one left seems pretty close.
- Mitchell Trubisky completed 15 of 19 passes for 160 yards and a touchdown while playing with the Steeler Starters in Sunday’s preseason finals against the lions.
- During rookie first round Kenny Pickett also played well, our Steelers pundit Bryan DeArdo believes it’s Trubisky’s job (and our NFL reporter Cody Benjamin called Trubisky ).
While the last week of preseason is mostly reserved for players fighting for a roster spot, we’ll have to seeand Cody’s may surprise you. Unfortunately the pre-season is over, it’s time for roster cutsand The teams must be reduced to 53 players by tomorrow afternoon.
A cheat sheet for your fantasy football draft 🏆
I’ve been looking forward to the fantasy football season since the end of last season. Granted, my team’s season ended earlier than I would have liked.
But this year we’ll be back and better than ever, and you can be too, thanks to all the incredible work of our Fantasy Football staff. You can find just about anything you’ve ever wanted. This contains…
- cheat sheet
- Player leaderboards and tiers
- Sleepers, breakouts and busts
- Team by team preview
- How to draw #1-12 of each choice
- mock drafts
And for just a sneak peek, here are our fantasy expert Chris Towers’ top 10 (sign up for Chris’ Fantasy Football Today newsletter here):
- 1.Christian McCaffrey
- 2. Cooper Kupp
- 4.Austin Ekeler
- 5.Justin Jefferson
- 6. Dalvin Koch
- 7. Najee Harris
- 8.Travis Kelce
- 9. Alvin Kamara
- 10. Davante Adams
For #11-200 (yes, 200!),. And happy drawing!
What we watch Monday 📺
🎾 Serena Williams vs. Danka Kovinic, US Open (first round)7 p.m. on ESPN
⚾ Yankees at Angels9:45 p.m. on MLB Network
https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/rory-mcilroy-rallies-for-fedex-cup-win-plus-nfl-preseason-takeaways/ Rory McIlroy Struggles for FedEx Cup Victory, Plus NFL Preseason Takeaways