Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Canceled After Rocket Attack?

Will the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix still go ahead or will it be canceled after a missile attack on a fuel depot near the Jeddah Corniche Circuit?

Formula 1 is visiting Saudi Arabia and the Jeddah Corniche Circuit for the second time after the inaugural event in December.

First practice, as well as Formula 2 practice and qualifying events, took place after a missile attack on an Aramco oil depot near the circuit.

A fire broke out in the depot and thick smoke could be seen as the F1 cars were out in FP1.

World Champion Max Verstappen even smelled the smoke and asked his Red Bull squad if there was anything wrong with his RB18 machine.

Will the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix be canceled after the missile attack? How did F1 react?

Ozarks | Season 4 Part 1 Trailer | Netflix

Photo by Dan Istitene – Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images

Will the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix be cancelled?

As things stand, the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix on Saturday 26 March at 00:00 UTC has not been canceled and the remainder of the weekend is scheduled.

After the second practice session, the teams and drivers began a second meeting with F1 and the FIA.

This started at 10pm local time (7pm UK) and ended four hours and 20 minutes later.

The drivers spent a long time alone in the room, discussing the situation among themselves.

Ross Brawn, Stefano Domenicali and FIA President Mohammed ben Sulayem visited the drivers, as did their team bosses – some of whom had left the track only to return.

Photo by Dan Istitene – Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images

After the meeting was adjourned, Grand Prix Drivers Association Director George Russell made his way to Race Control to meet with the team principals.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said his team will “race”.

A statement from the race organizers – Saudi Motorsport Company – said they have been in contact with Saudi security services and that “security measures continue to be implemented”.

Has F1 canceled races yet?

The 2021 Belgian Grand Prix was abandoned after just two laps behind the safety car due to torrential rain at Spa.

This race was not officially canceled as Max Verstappen was awarded a half points victory.

Previously, the 2020 Australian Grand Prix was canceled and canceled on Friday morning as the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

Some teams were pushing to run the weekend – hours before the start of the first practice session.

In 1985 F1 canceled running the Belgian Grand Prix halfway through the weekend due to the track collapsing due to the heat.

It returned later in the year to complete qualifying and drive the race.

Photo by KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP via Getty Images

In other news, here is the WGC matchplay prize pool for the 2022 event

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/03/25/saudi-grand-prix-cancelled-f1/ Saudi Arabian Grand Prix Canceled After Rocket Attack?

Brian Ashcraft

TheHiu.com is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@thehiu.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button