Square Enix provided another set of details for Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince Today we’re talking about the overarching story and key characters, as well as the return of several locations from Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen. The latest screenshots have also arrived.
Here’s the full overview, courtesy of Square Enix:
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince offers fans an alternative account of the events during Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen, exploring the untold story from the perspective of Psaro himself, the enigmatic Prince of Monsters who vows revenge against the ruthless, cruel master of the Monster Child, Randolfo the Tyrant.
Psaro’s mother, Miriam, is human and his father is the monster child’s master, Randolfo the Tyrant, making Psaro the half-human prince of Nadiria, the monster world. Unfortunately, Miriam is seriously ill and Psaro ventures to Nadiria to ask his father to cure her illness. Randolfo flatly rejects his requests and curses Psaro so that he will never be able to directly harm a creature made of monster blood. This begins Psaro’s quest for revenge against his father’s cruelty and the rule over Nadiria itself.
Key characters players will encounter during Psaro’s adventures in Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince include:
- Randolfo the Tyrant, the uncompromising ruler of all Nadiria: Psaro’s imposing father, his archenemy and the monster child’s master. He has ruled the chaos of Nadiria with an iron fist for many years.
- Dolph the Destroyer, Nadiria’s Most Evil General: Randolfo the tyrant’s eldest son, said to be the most powerful fighter in all of Nadiria. Possessing unrivaled strength, he is widely believed to be his father’s chosen successor to the Nadirian throne.
- The Zenith Dragon, the All-Seeing Dragon God: The dragon god who omnisciently watches over the affairs of the world from Zenithia, a castle in the clouds.
- Healie, a Boy in Search of an Old Friend: A naive little boy who travels the world in search of a long-lost companion. However, he didn’t always look like this…
- Ludo, an elusive and enigmatic youth: A mysterious young man with a penchant for strange poetry. He has a habit of appearing in unexpected places and seems to know Psaro all too well…
- Percival, army captain loyal to his king: An army captain who is extremely loyal to his liege lord and carries out even the most barbaric orders without hesitation.
- General Chayne, Trusted Keeper of Diabolic Hall: Keeper of the fortress known as Diabolic Hall. This hardened warrior attempts to use his immense power to stop Psaro from achieving his goal.
- Miriam, Psaro’s sick mother: Psaro’s human mother. She lives in the human world and is suffering from a mysterious illness.
- The Chosen Heroes of DQIV: In DQIV, the Chosen Heroes set out to stop Psaro and put an end to his cruel ambitions in order to save the world. It seems that their actions will affect this story as well, and judging by their grim expressions, the threat they face is certainly a terrible one…
Players can also visit memorable locations from Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen. The players have to find out for themselves what role these places play in the story! These settings include, but are not limited to:
- Rosehill: Psaro’s base of operations is the sleepy village of Rosehill, where monsters and dwarves live together in harmony. Although small, Rosehill is home to shops and a church, as well as the Altar of Merging and a paddock where monsters can relax. It’s the perfect place for a budding monster wrangler to thrive.
- Diabolic Hall: The Monster Fortress.
- Zenithia: Where the Zenith Dragon watches the world.
- Several other DQIV locations will also be featured prominently!
Check out the gallery below for a closer look at Dragon Quest IV’s story, characters, and settings in Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince.
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince will be released for Switch on December 1, 2023.