A man caught on camera punching a stranger from behind in a New York City mall, rendering him unconscious, has been arrested.
Jaheim David, 21, has been charged with assault in the brutal attack on Brooklyn’s Kings Plaza Mall on Saturday, August 20.
David turned himself in at Precinct 63 precinct.
He was previously arrested on June 24 for domestic violence after allegedly punching his 20-year-old girlfriend in the face and slitting her lip, police said.
In the latest incident, surveillance video shows a man standing in line as two men approach him from behind.
Surveillance footage captured the moment Jaheim David, 21, allegedly crouched behind a man waiting in line at Brooklyn’s Kings Plaza Mall and punched him sideways in the face
The impact of the suction cup left the man unconscious on the ground. The suspect, Jaheim David, 21, has since turned himself in
Surveillance video from inside the mall means it didn’t take long to identify the suspect
The suspect, Jaheim David, 21, left, was seen walking through the mall with another man who was not involved in the attack
One of the men crouched behind the man and punched him sideways in the face, causing the 36-year-old victim to fall face down to the ground.
The two men then start walking, only for the suspect in the black shorts to come back moments later to check his handwork and leave once he sees the man’s motionless body.
A woman is then seen picking up the victim’s cell phone and leaving it near him, but no one else seemed to help, including a security guard who appeared to be walking right by.
Paramedics took the victim to Brookdale Hospital Medical Center in stable condition and he was later released.
Authorities say the unprovoked attack caused the victim “serious physical injuries.”
Police also say the victim appeared unaware of his attackers and not a word was exchanged between the two before the man hit him.
An additional mall security video shows David wearing his black shorts to push up the security barrier in the parking garage next to the mall to allow his driver to exit the parking lot without paying.
The victim remained motionless on the ground as the attacker and another man left the scene with him
At one point, a security guard could be seen entering the image but nonchalantly walking away from the man’s still body
Authorities released video footage showing the suspect in black basketball shorts getting out in a black Honda Civic that evening. He held the barrier open so he could leave without paying
The attack comes amid a sharp rise in crime across the Big Apple, with the crime rate up 36 percent from the same time last year
The attack comes amid a major spike in crime across the Big Apple.
Overall, crime is up 36 percent year over year, according to NYPD statistics, with offenses up nearly 20 percent from the same time last year.
In fact, last Saturday’s unprovoked attack came just a week after similar surveillance footage captured the moment Bui Van Phu, 55, donned a pair of gloves and struck Jesus Cortes, 52, with great force on the back of the head.
Cortes immediately fell to the ground and appeared to be unconscious after banging his head on the concrete. He suffered a fractured skull, a broken cheekbone and bleeding in his brain, prompting EMS to take him to NYC Health + Hospitals/Jacobi on August 12.
An initial investigation found that Cortes “leaved the restaurant, stopped and watched several people talking, after which one person exited the restaurant, put on a pair of gloves, and stood behind the victim.
“Without prior discussion or argument, the individual slapped the victim in the face before returning back to the restaurant and later to unidentified parts,” an NYPD spokesman said.
Authorities now say Cortes was in critical but stable condition following the altercation but has since undergone brain surgery and was recently weaned off a ventilator.
Meanwhile, the NYPD continues to investigate the brutal attack.
Saturday’s attack also came a week after Bui Van Phu, 55, was caught on surveillance footage accidentally hitting Jesus Cortes, 52, on the back of the head
Cortes immediately fell to the ground and appeared to be unconscious after banging his head on the concrete
Before the unprovoked attack, Phu was seen putting on a pair of gloves
They had previously arrested Phu on suspicion of attempted murder, but the district attorney later downgraded the charges to misdemeanor.
The prosecutor’s office defended itself, claiming it was still investigating the shocking attack.
But New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has since ordered him back behind bars, and at a parole hearing on Saturday, Phu was described as an “imminent threat to the community.”
Phu was originally arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, but the district attorney later downgraded the charge to a misdemeanor. He was on parole at the time of the attack
Speaking at his hearing, parole officer Nixa Rivera said, “Mr. Bui is a 55-year-old man with a persistent history of violent crime.
‘Mister. Bui is a registered level three sex offender, the highest level on the sex offender registry. Mr. Bui continues to pose an imminent threat to the community.’
Rivera added that Bui has lived in a shelter for six years and appears to have no family or community connections.
For two years he has been working exclusively at the cash register of a nail salon.
Alison Lowy, the Legal Aid Society’s attorney assigned to Bui, said public pressure should not have made his charges more serious.
She added, “When this incident happened, the defendant called his parole officer and she told him to turn himself in and he did.”
However, Rivera said his criminal charges are likely to become felonies anyway.
At a parole hearing last Saturday, Phu was described as an “imminent threat to the community.”
https://www.soundhealthandlastingwealth.com/uncategorized/thug-charged-with-assault-for-horrific-one-punch-attack-from-behind-that-left-36-year-old-out-cold/ Thug charged with assault in horrifying one-punch attack from behind that left 36-year-old cold